Monday, March 7, 2011

The Ottoman from Goodwill

I've been regularly checking in at our local Goodwill to see if if I could find any great pieces. Unfortunately our local Goodwill is normally not so great, but the other night I did happen upon this little guy, even though I walked past it nearly four or five times. It was an easy evening project, and I love the end result.
Here's what the little guy looked like when I bought him.

With a nice set of pliers I started ripping off the hot glued tassels and tons of staples.
After the pink was gone, an awful stained blue was uncovered
Under the blue there was some kind of pillow case holding the "cushion" into place? Either way it HAD to go.
A leather ottoman, who would have guessed? I could clearly see why they started covering it, because the corners were ruined and there were a lot of scratches.
Because is wasn't very comfortable by itself, I bought two bags of batting to stuff the top with.
Then I placed a large flat square of batting over the adding cushioning to hold it all in place.
Voilà! I covered it with a double layer of muslin first since I bought a sheer fabric for the final layer.
Here's it with our couch set up!
Spending Breakdown:
Ottoman ------------------------   $12
Muslin (2 yards) -----------------  $6
Fabric (1.5 yards) ---------------  $15

So a cute little addition to our house for only $33!
Gotta love doin' it yourself!

1 comment:

  1. What a good idea. I love the fabric you chose. It matches the sectional well.

    ReplyDelete